Official site: www.bashlib.ru
The BashSU library is one of the oldest libraries in the Republic. Its origin may be traced back to 1909, when a library was established under Teacher Training Institute in Ufa. In 1920 Teacher Training Institute was transformed into Practical Institute of Public Education, on the basis of which Bashkir State Pedagogical Institute was founded in 1929. Already in 1930s the Bashkir Pedagogical Institute library was one of the largest university libraries in the Republic with the holdings of 135,000 units.
At present the Library incorporates:
- 7 reading halls, including an Electronic Information Access Hall;
- 7 lending libraries;
- Department of Document Integration;
- Department of Scientific and Technical Processing of Documents;
- Interlibrary loan;
- Service Department;
- Reference Department;
- Book Storage Department;
- Department of Rare and Handwritten Books;
- Automation Department;
- Methodological Department.
The Library holdings contain scientific, academic and fiction literature related to every area of the University’s activities. Currently the Library holdings amount to 1.4 mln volumes; the Library employs 95 people.
In 1995 the Library started to introduce new information technologies in its work. The site provides an organizing force for the electronic library.
- processes of stocktaking, scientific processing of documents and lending books have been automated;
- the volume of the electronic catalogue amounts to 592,568 records;
- a network of remote-mode services is being developed;
- readers are given opportunities to use Russian and international information resources;
- an Electronic Reading Hall has been launched, which is a full-text electronic library of academic and scientific materials available for users of both local BashSu network and home computers in the remote mode.